The Peddler has not only become a Gatlinburg dining tradition, it is literally built upon tradition. The building is the former home of Charles “Earl” Ogle, Sr., a fourth generation Gatlinburg merchant. In 1958, he and wife Beth constructed their dream home here on the banks of the Little Pigeon River from remnants of four old Sevier County cabins. Earl’s great grandfather, Noah Ogle, established the city’s first grocery store on the other end of town in 1850. That store was moved to a site near the confluence of Baskins Creek and the Little Pigeon River several years later by Earl’s grandfather Ephraim E. Ogle. Ephraim passed the store down to his son Charles A. Ogle and finally to Earl, who managed the landmark mercantile until it, and its adjoining vacation cottages, were replaced in the mid 1970s by the present Mountain Mall.